Thursday, April 28, 2011

Sleeping Like a Baby

I can't think of anything more beautiful than sleeping babies.
This was back in the fall, I should probably sneak in at nap time today to take an updated picture. I am lucky that on most days the girls take their afternoon nap around the same time. I lay them in my bed together during nap time. Marie is older now, almost 8 months. You know your children best so do not put them next to one another if you are not going to be near the entire time of nap. Siblings are not as aware of the baby as an adult. Every now and then I will catch Ruth soothing Marie. Marie will start wiggling around, Ruth will put her arm around her without even waking up. Marie then settles back down and goes back to sleep. Neither one even open their eyes during the entire thing. Travis and I have talked about this several times. Does Ruth naturally do this because this was done to her?

When Ruth came home she slept in our bed from night one. The nurse in the hospital showed me how to nurse while laying on my side (she was an angel!). I slept much better and could easily nurse her throughout the night. I am a light sleeper and though I noticed every move she made I slept much better with her next to me. I was just like any other new parent who checks on their breathing every 5 seconds. If she started moving around at night I would simply place my hand on her stomach and she would ease back into sleep. She also started affectionatley feeling for us while half asleep. It was just enough to know we were there to put her back to sleep. I think this is why she does it to her sister. She knows how to soothe her because she was soothed.

So I wanted to make available some information on cosleeping, familybed, bedsharing... whatever you want to call it.

Here are some safety things first! Most important please please follow these if you are making the choice to have your baby sleep with you.

  • Do not sleep with your baby if:

    • You are under the influence of any drugs
    • You are extremely obese
    • You are exhausted from sleep deprivation
    • You are sleeping on a couch or waterbed
    • You are the child's babysitter
    To Check out all the Wonderful Benefits to bedding near your baby check out Dr. Sears's site.
    Bedding Near Your Baby

    Dr. Sears has some amazing information on his site. Again the Lactation Consultant at the hospital recommended the site and now I read any book of his I can get my hands on. More important than deciding to breastfeed or bed share or baby wearing is BALANCE. Knowing what works for your family, for your children, and know when to say Yes and when to say No. Make the choice that is right for you. And that doesn't mean you always have to stick with that choice. Things can change.


    I know that this is not for every family, it is what works for us. Our house is like musical beds. Every night is something different. Sometimes dad is in the twin bed in Ruth's room, sometimes Ruth is actually in there. Last night Marie and I were in Ruth's room. It works for us because in the morning everyone is smiling. Everyone has gotten a good nights rest.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment